Friday, February 20, 2009

It has been a quiet week. Bill and I have enjoyed the weather (plenty of sunshine) and hanging out on the boat. We have been cooking at home, which has been nice.
I have also started two virtual volunteer projects. The first project that I am working on is with Bookshare. Bookshare is online library of digital books for the blind. The way that it works is someone scans a book into the large Bookshare database (or the publisher 'donates' a scanned file.) What I am dozens of other volunteers do is basically download the file and then proofread and format the scanned books. Sometimes the scans aren't 'clean' and there are extra characters or misspellings. The page numbers have to be added and the bibliographic information verified. Once the file is proofread, I upload it to the database. A staff member does the final approval and then the book is available for 'check out' in either Braille or adaptable technology (text recognition) formats. Pretty cool. I have done 5 books over the past few weeks.
The second project that I am working on is with 50/50 Leadership, a non-profit that focuses on gender equality in leadership. I am working with a team of five to create a comprehensive online database of women's conferences, seminars, courses, symposiums, etc. The team was formed this week and the database is in the beginning stages. It should be posted on the 50/50 website within six months.
So I have been spending lots of time on the computer....
Here are some pictures of the beautiful flowers that I picked up last week. They are still in full bloom and make the boat smell pretty.
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: